Tuesday 4 December 2012

The first mini (very mini) expedition

As part of my training regime, I have decided to try and get away to the Brecon Beacons at least once a month, to fit in some back to back runs.

Admittedly I could very easily do back to back runs across the downs, but lets be honest I see enough of them over the rest of the month and there's more to life than the South Downs! Besides by sneaking off to the peaks I get to go camping for a couple of days, and get used to the discipline of living out of a pack, and experiment with various easy cook foods.

At least that's the plan, unfortunately this month, Nov, due to financial circumstances, i.e. getting pinched speeding and having to pay for a driver awareness course, which was rather good incidentally, I couldn't afford it.

I did however manage to get away in Oct for a couple of days. Having set up my tent using a well placed Peugeot and full beam, to see what I was doing, I settled down to the first "heat me up" culinary delight, Thai red chicken curry and rice (depicted below). All in all a roaring success I must say.



On the food and cooking front, several lessons were learnt, and several great discoveries made!

If you want anything to stay dry whilst camping this time of year, leave it at home, so a lighter is a must, matches go soggy!

Some great discoveries made on the first expedition, were hexy block cookers, fantastic little things, I now know exactly how much of a block will boil me a brew (about a quarter). Admittedly they are limited to heating water, you cant really cook on them, but hot water means hot food, and I suppose that is cooking really.

Next great discoveries are powdered mashed potato and pots of porridge! Who knew you could get powdered mash, and it even tastes a bit like mash, just add water, and cheese for the adventurous! Porridge pots are the next great camping convenience, you just rip the top off chuck in some boiling water and honey, happy days! I don't much like porridge, but I acknowledge it's usefulness as a pre-long run breakfast so put up with it, if you are a porridge connoisseur you may find it tastes a little like wall paper paste, but hey get over it your camping!



No comments:

Post a Comment